Tourism companies are those engaged professionally in providing paid tourism services of accommodation, and they classify in:

Hotel establishments

These provide tourists with temporary accommodation in accommodation units, as a single establishment or as a business unit with the corresponding tourism services.

Hotel establishments may obtain recognition of speciality or specific type from the Administration, regardless of the group and category assigned, and in this case must display the corresponding emblem.

They are classified in two groups:

  1. Hotel group

In turn classified in two types: a) Hotels b) Apart-hotels.

Hotels and apart-hotels are hotel establishments providing accommodation in accommodation units (rooms, apartments and studios) and that are open twenty-four hours a day, whether they offer complementary service or not. Hotels are identified with a letter ‘H’, and apart-hotels, with ‘HA’.

Hotels and aparthotels are classified in seven categories, identified by stars (one-star or basic; two-star; three-star; four-star; four-star superior; five-star and GL or grand luxury).

  1. No-board hotel or guesthouse group

No-board hotels (hostals) and guesthouses are establishments that provide accommodation in rooms that, given the size, structure or features of the establishment or the type of services, do not meet the standards required of hotels and apart-hotels.

Holiday apartments

Establishments that provide temporary accommodation in buildings or complexes composed entirely of apartments or studios, as single establishments or business units, with the corresponding tourism services They are identified by ‘AT’.


Establishments that provide temporary accommodation in duly delimited areas of public use, for people to coexist in the open air, of the following types:

  1. Mobile lodgings (tents, caravans, camper vans or any structure that can be towed by a car).
  2. Semi-mobile lodgings (mobile homes or any lodging on wheels requiring special transport to move on roads).
  3. Fixed lodgings (bungalows and similar facilities).

Campsites are classified, according to the characteristics of their buildings, facilities and services provided, into four categories identified by stars: "two stars", "three stars", "four stars" and "five stars". This identifying element must be placed, in a very visible way, at the entrance of the campsite and at the entrance of the reception.

Rural tourism establishments

These provide temporary accommodation in rural dwellings, in rooms or in entire houses. In no circumstances may flats, considered independent dwellings in a multi-story building, be considered rural tourism establishments.

They are located in rural areas in villages of less than 2,000 inhabitants or outside villages in isolated areas, in buildings dating from before 1950, that are of the same architectural type as the rest of the area, provide peace and quiet and are integrated into the landscape. They are identified by ‘TR’.

They are classified in two groups:

  1. Farmhouses or agricultural tourism establishments.

The owner (professional farmer) earns an income from agriculture, livestock or forestry. Guests can discover the work and activities undertaken on the farm they are linked to.

  1. Rural accommodation.

The owner is not obliged to earn an income from agriculture, livestock or forestry.

These two groups are classified, together, as follows:

Single-family dwellings outside a village:

  1. Farmhouse
  2. Farm cottage

Single-family dwellings in a village:

  1. Shared village house.
  2. Independent village house.


Farmhouses and Shared village houses are single-family dwellings that the owner shares with tourists, as the owner must be registered and actually live in the establishment. Accommodation is provided in rooms, plus at least breakfast.

Farm cottages and Independent village houses are single-family dwellings where accommodation is provided in the whole house. The owner must be registered and actually live in the establishment or in the same county or in a neighbouring town.

In the Farmhouse group, Farmhouses and Farm cottages must be located on the farm.

Dwellings for tourist use

These are dwellings rented by the owner, directly or indirectly, to third parties, repeatedly and in exchange for payment, for a continuous period of up to 31 days.

The whole dwelling is transferred and must have a certificate of occupancy and comply with general technical and quality standards for housing. They may not be occupied by more places than indicated on the certificate of occupancy.

They must be adequately furnished and have all the appliances and utensils necessary for immediate use and it must be in a perfect state of hygiene.

The proprietor of the activity is the owner of the property and must obtain authorisation from the town council by submitting a Statement of Compliance with regulatory requirements.

Update:  04.12.2017